Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Seeing Sideways Map

Wow, it seems like only yesterday I was doing my first blog for the class and now this is officially the last. I have learned a lot in the past weeks and I really do feel like I have changed for the better.

But what have I learned? How can I continue to stay sideways? Is there any system I can use to stay creative and inspired?

Well I have learned a lot about what SUCCESS means and to be honest I used to always think that success was directly linked with the amount of money you make. I came into Seeing Sideways truly believing I had not tasted success, but after talking with other students and feeling a strong connection to the seeing sideways mentality, I look back on how I got here and it really is a success. Even if I don't get the "A" I hope I do in this class it has no bearing on how much a success the class had on my mentality. I will continue to look towards the past to motivate towards the future.

FEAR is a common roadblock that has happened so many times in my life. My fear of dinosaurs and aliens might be a comical fear, but the fear of not living up to what my parents dreamed I would be is so much more deep and internal. I know now that as sad as it may be, I probably won't make the next Pixar movie and I won't be a millionaire. Coming into class I was still trying to figure out how to please my parents, since I live with them and they pay the bills, but I realized that through the fear assignment I have the ability to stand up and live my own life. I was truly inspired by my fellow classmates dig deep and tell their deepest fears, because in all honesty I was too afraid to talk about my close close relationship with my parents and those classes has allowed me to analyze my situation and I want to change. I want to be more independant, and I can't help but say thank you to everyone in class allowing me to see that I can go out and do whatever I want and its okay if it may not be what I thought it was going to be.

HAPPINESS is a word that should generally promote what is says, being happy. I see the word happiness and want to correlate that happiness to what I do while I'm at school. It's not hard to notice that I seem to be more frustrated in school than I am happy. The field of 3D modeling is not only competitive, time consuming, and expensive, it drains all the energy I have and makes me turn into a person that seems destined to always come up short. Seeing Sideways has given me new motivation to go back to 3D and really try it a new approach. I have just a year left before I graduate, and my capstone now has gone back to square one, but if you were to ask me if I was happy.....now I would say yes, because I look forward to trying to spin 3D in a new way in my life.

BULLSHIT is something I couldn't help but talk about on my blog. Why? Because saying, "THAT'S BULLSHIT!" is an awesome thing to say and to get credit for an assignment by talking about bullshit is great! Well I am a bullshiter, it's how I have survived at school for as long as I have. I would love to see a competition of bullshiters, then you could say that it's to find out who is the bullshitiest. Seeing Sideways has proven to me that Bullshit can work, but I have decided that I want to live in a life with the least amount of bullshit possible. For me, when I come up with bullshit, its because I am out of creative ideas. I will continue to analyze my life but I will try and stay clear of the bullshit!

CREATIVITY was the most talked about thing in class in my opinion. As well it should be, because creativity is why we are all (most of us) are in the new media program. We are people who can create something from something else. It's kind of cool to be associated with the word "artists" but I don't consider myself an artist. I learned that, that way of thinking will only lead to failure. I have to think I am an artist, and I can make whatever I want with the program Maya and Unreal and the more stuff that I create the better of an artist I can become. I know my limits, but its a lot higher than that of social science major or a elementary education major. That may be harsh towards that group of people, but it makes me feel better so the hell with them. I will continue to explore the world of art and find new ways of inspiring not only my abilities but my creativity.

Seeing Sideways isn't just a class......it's a way of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment